Minneapolis is a destination for the arts and Lake Street is no exception. The music and literary scene ranges from the 87-year
Schooner Tavern to one of the largest independent booksellers in the Midwest. You’ll never run out of options for listening to live music or curling up with a good book.
1. Walker Library | 2880 Hennepin Ave
Named after a famed local art collector and businessman this library has served Uptown since 1911.
2. Magers & Quinn | 3038 Hennepin Ave
An independently-owned bookstore offering a wide selection of rare books and bestsellers.
3. Morrissey’s Irish Pub | 913 W Lake St
Laid-back Irish pub with weekend brunch, whiskey, live music, and annual St. Patty’s day events.
4. Eye Of Horus Metaphysical | 910 W Lake St
The premier retailer of books and supplies for those interested in alternative spiritual and mystic paths.
5. James Ballentine VFW Post 256 | 2916 Lyndale Ave S
Sing karaoke in their cozy dive bar or catch a show in their 400-person music venue.
6. Smitten Kitten | 3010 Lyndale Ave S
This body-positive sex toy shop features friendly staff and a lending library with over 300 non-fiction books!
7. Extreme Noise Records | 407 W Lake St
For 25 years this volunteer-run shop has been reinvesting their profits into the local punk rock community.
8. Uncle Hugo’s Science Fiction Bookstore | 2864 Chicago Ave
If you love mystery and science fiction books, you’ll be right at home in these stacks.
9. Mount Olive Lutheran Church | 3045 Chicago Ave
Stop by to check out their neo-Baroque organ, multiple choirs, and the Music and Fine Arts series.
10. Quatrefoil Library | 1220 E Lake St
This library features over 10,000 books and DVDs, and fosters GLBT community through literature and media.
11. The Hook & Ladder Theater | 3010 Minnehaha Ave
This multi-use event center hosts shows and events almost daily in a beautifully-renovated fire station.
12. Moon Palace Books | 3032 Minnehaha Ave
A family-friendly bookstore with a music venue, cafe, and bar. Books, pizza, beer - what’s not to love?
13. Schooner Tavern | 2901 27th Ave S
The Schooner has hosted local musicians since 1932! Stop by every Tuesday through Sunday for live music.
14. El Nuevo Rodeo | 2709 E Lake St
This live music venue, bar, and restaurant is known for bringing in national and international Latino artists.
15. Addis Ababa Ethiopian Restaurant & Bar | 2713 E Lake St
This laid-back Ethiopian restaurant and bar is also a hot spot for weekly DJ sets and salsa dancing.
16. East Lake Library | 2727 E Lake St
They’ve got lots of books, but don’t miss the 26,000 pound granite rock and steel rod art sculpture!
17. Merlins Rest Pub | 3601 E Lake St
Enjoy weekly live music, jam sessions, and sing-alongs at this friendly neighborhood pub.
18. Hymie’s Vintage Records | 3820 E Lake St
Browse thousands of new and used albums on vinyl at this treasured neighborhood store.